Finally I got rid off Wordpress and moved to handmade static site generator. I started this site about 4 years ago with Joomla, than transfer it to Wordpress and now it’s pure static html. To achieve it I’ve made static html generator that generates site from mustache templates. All english posts and pages were converted from Wordpress to mustache templates.
- To run Wordpress site I need Nginx (or any other web server) + PHP + MySQL. Now I need only Nginx. For the same reason it’s much easier to backup/restore your site because there is only bunch of files. I store whole site in mercurial repo which is very convenient for deployment.
- create mustache template contains post content;
- run deploy script: on local machine compile mustache to html, hg commit, hg push. On vps - hg pull -u. One script do all these things;
- all these things I can do with my favorite IDE which is Intellij IDEA.
So blogging now looks like usual software development. And, of course, speed of site increased significantly.
Summary of technologies:
- mustache template engine for page templates;
- Twitter bootstrap to beautify html;
- Disqus for comments;
- Google Custom Search as search engine;
- the generator is NodeJS app written in JS.
The same transition I’ve made for my ngflex project. It was quite complicated because of it bilingual nature. I’ve managed it with nginx configuration: nginx detects user language by browser settings.
Now I have full control over content of my sites:-)